WooCommerce vs. Shopify
Expert Tips To eCommerce Platforms
If you’re looking for an eCommerce web designer, you’ve likely been researching web store web design platforms. And two names are probably sticking out to you: WooCommerce and Shopify. Which is right for you? As eCommerce web developers who are both WooCommerce and Shopify experts, we’re here to break down the difference between these two popular eCommerce platforms for you.
What is Shopify and Does it Require an eCommerce Web Designer?
Shopify is a popular eCommerce platform for many online entrepreneurs because it’s beginner-friendly and basically an out-of-the-box solution. With Shopify, you can:
- Create an eCommerce website that is hosted by Shopify.
- Design your website without the aid of an eCommerce web developer
- Make changes to your site, as available per Shopify’s restrictions (you don’t have total control over your eCommerce site when you use Shopify).
Basically, you don’t have to be a Shopify expert to create an eCommerce site with that platform. But while the low tech, low web design knowledge required by Shopify to create a store may sound appealing, many online stores that grow and flourish wish they had more control over their sites and an eCommerce web designer assisting them as their online sales spike.
What is WooCommerce and Does it Require an eCommerce Web Designer?
WooCommerce is a plugin for WordPress, which is the largest publisher of websites on the Internet. Unless you yourself have extensive knowledge of using WordPress, you’ll need an eCommerce web developer to create your online store using WooCommerce.
Why would you use WooCommerce and hire an eCommerce web designer when you can basically launch your own online store with Shopify by yourself? There are plenty of reasons. These include:
- WooCommerce lets you leverage the power of the WordPress network, which has a seemingly endless number of plugins, designs, and themes to choose from, not to mention allows custom designs to ensure your online store is one-of-a-kind.
- WooCommerce stores your files on your own servers, so unlike with Shopify, you can edit anything you want on your desired website and online store. Modifications aren’t limited to any web design restrictions outlined or enforced by WooCommerce.
- WooCommerce is used by more online stores, especially larger stores or stores that see larger traffic. If you anticipate your eCommerce site to explode, you’ll love the flexibility that WooCommerce provides.
Shopify or WooCommerce – Which eCommerce Platform Should You Choose?
There are different reasons why eCommerce entrepreneurs choose each platform. Generally speaking, here are the pros of choosing each particular option over the other:
- Easy to use, and you can quickly become a Shopify expert on your own without the help of an eCommerce web designer.
- It’s great for straight-forward sellers who don’t have lots of complicated products or updates to make to their online stores.
- As an online entrepreneur, WooCommerce gives you complete control over your online store as your business grows and scales.
- Shopify isn’t an option for all product offerings, as Shopify bans certain types of products such as cosmetics.
- Your WordPress eCommerce web designer can leverage a huge supply of WordPress themes, backgrounds, and designs – or make a custom web design – to make your online store completely unique.
Our eCommerce Web Developers Can Help You with WooCommerce Web Design or Migrating from Shopify to WooCommerce
If you need an eCommerce web designer for web design – either to create a new WooCommerce online store or migrate your Shopify store to WooCommerce – we can help. As both WooCommerce and Shopify experts, we’re perfectly suited to help you with your eCommerce needs. To reach our eCommerce web developers and discuss your specific needs, call us at 972-464-2797.
Not big on reading? That’s okay. Watch “WooCommerce vs. Shopify”.
Using the power of Artificial Intelligence, we turned this blog into a video for you. Watch it below.